Meet the spirit of ancient times in Belgrade: Tavern Question Mark and Royal Compound.
Did you know Tavern “?” was built in 1823 as a property of Miloš Obrenović I, Prince of Serbia, designed by an unnamed Greek architect.
It was first used by Macedonian diplomat and merchant Naum Ičko, after which Prince Miloš gave it to his personal doctor Toma Kostić, known as Ećim Toma (ećim is a Turkish word for doctor), for his efforts during the Second Serbian Uprising.
Realizing its favorable location, Ećim Toma soon converted it into a tavern that was known around town as “Ećim Toma’s tavern”. During the early 1830s the tavern (Serbian “kafana”) was frequented by famous Serbian linguist and language reformer Vuk Stefanović Karadžić. In 1878, its name was changed to “Kod pastira” (Shepherd’s).
It got its present unusual name in 1892, during a dispute with the Serbian Orthodox Church authorities over the owner’s intention to change its name to “Kod Saborne crkve” (Next to Belgrade Cathedral ), to which the church authorities vehemently protested, not wanting to see a cathedral’s name in the name of a tavern. So, as a temporary solution, the tavern’s owner put a question mark on the door, and it soon became the official name of the place. For a while, out of respect for the church, smoking was prohibited inside the tavern, but this didn’t last.
Today, Talas S can take to this tavern to enjoy in the authentic ambience of this XIX century restaurant, its music program and national food and drinks that are prepared in a traditional way.
The Royal Compound is a complex of residences built for the Karađorđević royal family between 1924 and 1937. The compound is located in the Dedinje neighborhood, a prestigious area of Belgrade, Serbia.
It consists of two primary residences: The Royal Palace and The White Palace.
The Royal Compound covers an area of 134 hectares, of which 27 hectares surround the Royal Palace and another 12 hectares, the White Palace.
The service buildings include kitchens, garages, guard’s barracks and the office of the Marshal. The Royal Compound is covered with parks of the English garden type, where the vegetation is allowed to grow naturally, whereas around the two palaces the French garden concept of park arrangement is applied, meaning that flowers, bushes and trees have neatly shaped forms and are planted in strictly geometrical order. The King thought that it would be a nice and quiet place, away from the city noise and curious public eyes. The White Palace is located in the same complex as the Royal Palace, the official residence of the Karađorđević royal family.
The White Palace is one of the few prestigious venues for gala dinner that Talas S highly suggest. Talas S can also provide all necessary services about organizing gala dinner with a “royal touch”.
For more information, please kindly contact Mr. Aleksandar Jovanovic at email@example.com